Wednesday 19 February 2014

Zombie Ass: The Toilet Of The Dead (2011)

I don't often specify the country of origin of the many movies that I review here because I don't think it makes much of a difference to those seeking out good movies. Of course, there can be major differences between films from the UK, films from the USA, films from Japan, films from Australia, and so on and so forth. But whether a film is subtitled, or black and white, or full of material harvested from the culture of its country of origin, the only thing that matters is whether or not it's any good.

Zombie Ass: The Toilet Of The Dead is from Japan, and I feel it's necessary to point that out because it's a bad movie, and a lot of what makes it bad comes from the humour, slightly fetishised moments, and that real over the top madness that features in a lot of Japanese cinema of the bizarre. Like tentacles poking at various orifices, because that happens too. And, as the word ass is in the title, there are also lots of shots that focus on female posteriors. There's also, let's not beat about the bush here, a lot of shit onscreen. Literally.

The plot concerns some parasites that invade people and make them fart a lot before turning them into zombies with dangerous backsides. Oh, believe me, I know how preposterous that sounds. I was only a few minutes into the movie before I realised that I may have made a major mistake. Such is my lot in life, however, and I soldiered on to the bitter end.

While it may only run for about 85 minutes, this feels like a much longer film. That's down to the fact that this is, basically, a one-joke sketch stretched out to feature length by director Noboru Iguchi (and you'll be unsurprised to hear that he did the "F" segment in The ABCs Of Death too). It boggles the mind that it took three or four people to come up with this story/script.

Leading lady Arisa Nakamura is quite sweet and easy to like, and she shares the screen for most of the movie with Mayu Sugano and Asana Mamoru, a trio of cute females to be splattered with stinky stuff and terrorised throughout the movie. There are also some fun performances from Kentaro Kishi and Kentaro Shimazu, but the film often sidelines the movie in favour of more time with the ladies.

There ARE a few good moments of extreme gore, for fans of splatter, but it's surrounded by too much insanity involving stomach cramps, flatulence and lots of shit. It made me gag, and I would hate to think of what this could have been like in "Odorama", but it didn't entertain me.

3/10

http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Ass-Toilet-Dead-na/dp/B009XY1X9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392231487&sr=8-1&keywords=zombie+ass



No comments:

Post a Comment