Tuesday 10 May 2022

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (2022)

A sequel that, I’m just going to say it now, is actually better than the first film, Sonic The Hedgehog 2 manages to be a fantastic bit of fun for everyone. Maybe I was just in a slightly better mood when I saw it, maybe it was helped by not having the baggage of the first film, or maybe it just is a little bit better.

The plot is once again a fairly simple one. Dr. Robotnik (Jim Carrey) wants to get back to Earth, and he wants to get revenge. Meeting the mighty Knuckles (voices by Idris Elba), Robotnik increases his chances of success, especially when they also locate a green emerald of great power. Meanwhile, Sonic (Ben Schwartz) is joined by Tails (Colleen O’Shaugnessey), who has arrived just in time to warn our blue, spiky, hero of impending danger, while Tom (James Marsden) and Maddie Wachowski (Tika Sumpter) try to enjoy their time at the wedding of Maddie’s sister, Rachel (Natasha Rothwell), and Randall (Shemar Moore).

When I first started to get interested in videogame consoles I ended up drawn to the world of Sega. My trusty Spectrum 48k had lasted me through many years, I could never master the moves for Street Fighter II or really show off on a Mario game, but when I started playing on a Sega Master System I soon began mastering Sonic The Hedgehog. Between that and Alex Kidd In Wonderland, I was finally starting to develop some gaming skills. From there it was on to the Megadrive, where Mortal Kombat drew me in further, and a trajectory that would lead me to the Sony PlayStation, with any incarnation of that console now being my favourite. What I am trying to say is that Sonic was my jam. For a number of years. The character design, the level design, the gameplay, it had everything I wanted from a platformer (although let’s also take a moment to remember the brilliant advert/game that was Cool Spot).

Maybe that is why I enjoy this sequel even more than the first movie. After everything being set up last time, Sonic The Hedgehog 2 will especially please those with fond memories of the videogame series. Elements are incorporated into the movie in ways that feel natural and organic, and nothing disappoints, from the name of a coffee shop “HQ” to the use of the golden rings, and even to the final form of the main villain.

Schwartz is still great as the voice of Sonic, and both Elba and O’Shaugnessey give vocal performances that are perfectly in line with their characters. Marsden and Sumpter are the reliable human friends again, of course,  although both are great at what they do, but it’s Rothwell and Moore who get to have more fun, particular when their wedding starts being interrupted. And then there’s Carrey, once again having a blast as the big baddie. He may not have the kind of standout moment that I had to highlight in the first film, but he delivers one great moment after another.

Jeff Fowler returns to the director’s chair, easily finding a sweet spot that evaded him for most of the first film, and Pat Casey and Josh Miller once again handle the writing duties, couching their exciting adventure in a couple of nice moral lessons, one about what it takes to be a hero and one about friendship and family.

Bright visuals, full of FX work that pops out of the screen without giving you a headache, a great score, also with one or two fun musical moments in there, and cute characters make this a real winner. It might be slightly overlong, and it is missing a truly memorable set-piece/moment, but I could have easily watched it again as soon as the end credits rolled. Because it reminds me of everything I loved about the games.

7/10

If you have enjoyed this, or any other, review on the blog then do consider the following ways to show your appreciation. A subscription/follow costs nothing.
It also costs nothing to like/subscribe to the YouTube channel attached to the podcast I am part of - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErkxBO0xds5qd_rhjFgDmA
Or you may have a couple of quid to throw at me, in Ko-fi form - https://ko-fi.com/kevinmatthews

No comments:

Post a Comment