Thursday, 30 July 2026

Maid Droid Origins (2024)

Remember a couple of weeks ago when I watched Maid Droid? Of course you do. Who could forget such an experience? I decided to watch the next film in that series. To the surprise of nobody, it was quite awful. And I do mean that it's MUCH worse than the first film.

Eve (Katie Kay) is the main droid this time. She starts the movie murdering one of her clients, but then runs away and ends up at the home of her creator, Timothy (Bryan Brewer). Timothy finds that he still has some feelings for Eve, which makes things tense with his wife, Belle (Cassie Ghersi).

Where to begin with this one? Writer-director Rich Mallery obviously thought that he's struck on a great idea when he came up with the simple concept for Maid Droid. I wouldn't say that he makes the mistake of over-complicating things here. It's actually the opposite. This is a lesser film than the first, mainly because it's somehow even sillier, adds nothing to the potential lore of the tech creations, and simply forces viewers to spend some time with a less interesting, and less entertaining, main character.

As much as I try not to dismiss people with harsh insults, and as much as I try not to get too personal with my criticisms (with the notable exceptions of those who have made very cynical and lazy trash), one of the biggest problems here is the casting. Kay is disappointingly bland in the lead role, unable to hold the screen and make a surprisingly strong impression in the way that Faith West did in the first film). Brewer is also not very good, but actually ends up being less watchable simply due to being moderately competent and less amusingly clumsy than other actors Mallery has worked with. Ghersi doesn't get to do much with her few onscreen moments, and Fawn Winters is the only cast member who seems to have been given permission to have some fun (although her character will feel a bit tired and overused to anyone who has watched more than their fair share of cheap schlock). 

It's not all the fault of the cast though. They wouldn't be under such scrutiny if Mallery was able to provide enough distractions in other aspects of his film, but he doesn't. Although he avoids making something that should send you straight to sleep, there's nothing here that you'll remember a day after you've finished watching the thing. Trust me, I didn't write this review while the end credits were rolling and I'm kicking myself as I realise that those end credits were the low-budget movie equivalent of a neuralyzer flashing in my face and giving me a strong bout of amnesia. 

Although this is only my second Mallery movie, and although it was a big step down from the last movie I managed to enjoy, I am looking forward to checking out more of his features. He at least knows what he's aiming to present to people, and it's just a shame that he's found his calling a few decades after his titles would be guaranteed easy "second/third choices" for those picking a selection of small-screen trashy treats from their local video rental store.

3/10

If you have enjoyed this, or any other, review on the blog then do consider the following ways to show your appreciation. A subscription/follow costs nothing. All links are HERE.
It also costs nothing to like/subscribe to the YouTube channel attached to the podcast I am part of - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErkxBO0xds5qd_rhjFgDmA
Or you may have a couple of quid to throw at me, in Ko-fi form - https://ko-fi.com/kevinmatthews

No comments:

Post a Comment