Thursday 19 October 2023

Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama 2 (2022)

I have said it before, and I am sure I will say it again, but it is tough to spend time and effort writing a review of a film that itself doesn’t seem to have been made by anyone who cared about it. What Sorority Babes In The Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama 2 has going for it is some name recognition, and nothing more. I am not even sure it can make the most of that, considering that the first film was also titled The Imp in some territories. But here we are, and here it is, and my sense of resentment is rising.

The plot is about as substantial as an anorexic amoeba, and all you need to know is that a group of people end up in a bowling alley that contains a cheeky creature looking to trick people by fulfilling their wishes in creatively negative ways. There’s some gratuitous nudity, one or two decent special effects in between a whole lot of dire visuals, and nobody onscreen that you will care about.

Written by Kent Roudebush, and the script for this doesn’t have me rushing to see whether or not he has any other credits to his name (I wouldn’t be surprised if this was either his first script or his one hundredth), the big plus here is the directing job for Brinke Stevens (who also cameos onscreen at one point, alongside another fave scream queen of mine, Michelle Bauer). Unfortunately, Stevens doesn’t do a very good job of directing, but her name attached to the project gives it an extra ounce of watchability, as does the small supporting role for Kelli Maroney. I don’t want to spend too much time criticising Stevens, it is hard to think of anyone doing much better with such an obviously limited schedule and low budget, so I will just say that I wish she had waited longer to make her feature directorial debut. Will I still sit through her next movie, Terror Toons 4, at some point though? Of course I will.

There are a couple of things I can be positive about. The short runtime helps make it a bit less painful, this barely manages to get over the hour mark, and when the imp appears (voiced by Derek Jeremiah Reid) he’s more entertaining than the rest of the cast combined. That is all though, and I am being very generous.

I guess anyone familiar with Full Moon Features will have an idea of what they are getting themselves into (and the emphasis has always been on potential profit ahead of everything else, in my view), but this is even worse than you could imagine. I felt sorry for everyone involved, and I hope they get a chance to work again on something that feels like a proper film.

2/10

If you have enjoyed this, or any other, review on the blog then do consider the following ways to show your appreciation. A subscription/follow costs nothing.
It also costs nothing to like/subscribe to the YouTube channel attached to the podcast I am part of - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErkxBO0xds5qd_rhjFgDmA
Or you may have a couple of quid to throw at me, in Ko-fi form - https://ko-fi.com/kevinmatthews
Or Amazon is nice at this time of year - https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/Y1ZUCB13HLJD?ref_=wl_share

No comments:

Post a Comment