Thursday 16 August 2018

Never again.

This blog was going to have a review of A Quiet Place here today. My aim was to get it written up last night, do the weekly podcast I look forward to, and try to get enough sleep before another early shift at work.

None of those things happened.

Instead, I stayed out much later than I should have, spent too much of my pocket money, probably got a few funny looks as I staggered home, and spent most of today in bed, head pounding and eyes unable to focus quite as well as they usually do.

People were worried about me, my wife was rightly raging, and it was all because I kept thinking "yeah, one more will be okay, and I can still get home in time to get a decent amount of sleep". Right up until about one in the morning.

So it's time to say never again. I have gone through extended periods of sobriety before, but I hope to make things permanent this time. For the sake of my wallet, my marriage, and my dignity.

If you read this and think that it's maybe an overreaction then I can only assure you that it isn't. Some people try to tell me that it's okay to have everything in moderation, which is true, but the problem is that occasional time when things become unmoderated. And to ensure that those times don't happen I am making this day one of a teetotal life.

I am not going to AA, because I don't believe in their affinity to religion and the way in which they seem to somehow both encourage honesty and yet warn people to not reveal too much about themselves, so I am just going to go my own way, day by day, and hope that friends may read this and never try to get me to "just have one".


No comments:

Post a Comment